The Holiday Season is upon us, and with its arrival comes shopping, decorating, and let's face it, the occasional headache with keeping your home free of fire hazards. Whether you're celebrating with a holiday tree or lighted Chanukah candles, we've got some tips to help minimize those headaches and keep your home fire free! 

Safety precautions when lighting Chanukah candles...

  • Position the Chanukah Menorah on a sturdy, nonflammable surface like glass, metal or marble and DO NOT place it on or near flammable materials, including books or curtains.
  • Keep the Menorah in a place where it will not be knocked over by wind or a passersby, and keep it out of your pet's reach.
  • Refrain from walking around with lit candles.
  • Do not leave the lit Menorah unattended.

When shopping for a fresh tree...

  • Look for one that doesn't lose thousands of needles when touched or its trunk is thumped on the ground. NOTE: If a tree is cut too early, the chance of it drying out increases, which means electrical sparks could fly, and fly fast.

Maintaining your tree...

  • Before placing your tree in a stand, the base should be trimmed 1'' to 2'' to improve water uptake.
  • Use a stand that holds at least 1 gallon of water; without water the tree will dry out, so check its water supply daily!
  • Do not place the tree within 3 feet of any heat source, including vents, fireplaces, candles or space heaters.
  • Only apply tree lights intended for indoor use and approved by an independent testing laboratory.
  • Abide by the manufacturer's guidelines when it comes to how many strings of lights should be connected.
  • TURN OFF tree lights when leaving your home or heading to bed.

WHEN to remove your tree...

  • As sad as it may be, it's time to remove the tree when it becomes dry and starts unloading needles all over your floor. By this point it's even more of a fire hazard to your home - get rid of it!
  • Once the holidays are over, remove the tree (dry or not) as soon as you're able.

HOW to remove your tree... 

  • DO NOT burn the tree in your fireplace, especially if it's dry. Dry trees burn hot and very quickly, and could potentially spread to cause a rapid fire outside of the fireplace (that is to say, inside your home!).
  • Before throwing your tree away, check for a holiday tree recycling program in your area.

Here's some statistics to keep in mind...

The National Fire Protection Association notes that 32% of home holiday tree structure fires were the result of electrical problems, & 39% of home holiday tree fires started in the living room, family room, or den.


We wish you all a very safe and happy holidays!


Info collected from,,


Masha Halpern and The Smart Move Team is your ultimate real estate resource for Chapel HillDurhamCarrboro and surrounding areas. Visit my website at for detailed information regarding today’s real estate markets.

Masha is a certified member of The Luxury Home Marketing Institute, participates in its annual Leaders in Luxury Conference, and works with The Institute’s thousands of members worldwide to share information about current listings.

Masha is also a certified member of Keller Williams Luxury International and is Chapel Hil & Durham's EXCLUSIVE  member of Cyber Stars International – Top Realtors Using Technology – a group dedicated to taking the best and latest technological advances and applying them to real estate advertising and marketing for her clients in all price pointsMasha Halpern can be contacted for a private consultation by calling 919-414-0337 or by visiting